Friday, May 20, 2011

sunburst mirror

Spoontastic mirror!

Here's a preview of the finished product:

2 packages of dollar store plastic spoons (48 or so per pack) = $2

1 round 7 inch mirror from Hobbidy - $2.99
1 round 7 inch embroidery hoop from Hobbidy - (inside circle only) - $1.99 (i think)

Cut a circle from cardboard bigger than your mirror. I used some fancy measuring. I put the mirror down, traced it, then used some lids from pots that I have (which are clear glass) and traced them as well for a line to use as a guide.

Don't follow my direction here - take my word for it and put the glue down and the spoons on top. It looks much better after it's painted. I had laid out a bunch of spoons and got them all nice and neat and didn't want to move them to glue. I wish I had. Putting the glue down and laying the spoons in them worked much better.

Here she is, all glued ready to paint!

Oops - forgot to get fancy spray paint for plastic while I was at the store. Hm, I have self etching primer (Rustoleum) that's supposed to be for metal. Sounds like it might work - I did a test run (see the spoon outline in the upper right corner?) Can't even scratch the paint off. Bingo! Paint front and back with primer

Final coat - glossy pink (not sure of the name of it) HOT pink. Painted the embroidery hoop as well. Used E6000 to glue hoop to mirror and mirror to cardboard. Before I glued the mirror on I used a piece of wire and poked it through the back of the cardboard to make a hook to hang it. I forgot to take a picture of this, but since the spoons are so light I figured it would work just fine. It does. Use fancy weights to weigh down hoop and mirror while it's dry, ie. cast iron skillet balanced top.



Stand back and enjoy! And yes, I cleaned off the fingerprints!


This is very close to the true color:

Here's that price run down again:
Spoons - $2
Mirror - $3
Hoop - $2

glue - already had it
paint - had that too
cardboard and wire - yup

Not bad for $7 and an hour of your time huh (not counting dry time)? Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Wow I was trying to see if you had any posts for that dresser and I realized your blog is new and you only have two posts! Both posts are very inspiring and awesome! I've seen a lot of people make their own sun burst mirrors and I have to say this one is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun a clever idea.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  3. how freakin' cute is that! my daughter would love it in her room. she gets such a kick out of original things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Livnat Kraus and I am the presenter of a corner TV show in the Israeli major TV network "Reshet" ,channel 2.





    The show has great rating around 5% and it take place every Tuesday noon and Tuesday night .





    We want to show in our corner your photos and give it great exposure.





    I would like to receive your printed permission to do so.





    Please comeback to me as soon as possible to this email:





    krauslivnat@gmail.com





    Best regards,

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...